August 29, 2012

Jack O'Lantern Mushrooms

Are you ready for Halloween?  These mushrooms are.  Take a look at these massive, bright orange beauties!  They are called jack o'lantern mushrooms, or Omphalotus olearius.  (Say that six times fast in a row!)



A friend told me about these beautiful fungi.  She'd seen them on her morning bike ride, and left a note on my car windshield as to their location, because she knew I was out sleuthing in the nearby creek bed.  Thank you, Sarah.  What a find!

These mushrooms, while glorious to behold, are poisonous.  They won't necessarily kill you, but can cause you to have severe cramps and vomiting, among other reactions.  Yet oddly enough, I read on Wikipedia that some people suffer from poisoning more than once because they find them irresistible.  Sounds like a malignant plot twist in a fairy tale, doesn't it?

So, you can look, but don't taste!


And that's not all.  Their gills are supposed to glow in the dark.  Hmmm.  I'll have to check that out.  Anyone up for a field trip?

4 comments:

  1. Me, Me, Me!!!!!!! Take me!!!!! You took such great pictures! Would have never guessed that they are poisonous. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok. Let's meet at 0-dark-thirty and drive over there and see if we can catch them glowing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome pictures! Also really good information! You are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Ashley! I've got to say that your many nature photos have added to my inspiration, especially your great photos of fungi. I'm just getting started in that department!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you, so please leave comments. Thank you!