June 24, 2012

Hyacinths to Feed Thy Soul

Yesterday's post on Spring Beauties, and the quote used there, reminded me of a poem.  You probably know it already.  It goes like this:

"If of thy mortal goods thou art bereft,
And from thy slender store
Two loaves alone to thee are left,
Sell one, and with the dole
Buy hyacinths to feed thy soul."

Photo courtesy of publicdomainpictures.net by Vera Kratochvil

This poem was written by Shaikh Saadi, a famous Persian poet, who was born in the late 1100's.

I love how people can communicate through time and space with their writing. Upon reading Saadi's peom, we instantly have a connection with this man who lived hundreds of years before us.  Suddenly the chasms of time and culture begin to be bridged.  If he felt like that, and so do I, then what else might we have in common?

3 comments:

  1. My Mom used to paraphrase this poem. She was a mathematician. She was born in 1924 and attended public schools in Dayton, OH. I often wonder where she came across a sufi poet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous,
      Thank you for your comment! Your mom sounds like a fascinating lady. I had to look up the term "sufi" which I had not heard of before - thank you for teaching me something today!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you, so please leave comments. Thank you!