June 10, 2012

My First Rose-Breasted Grosbeak!

I had an awesome find today!  I saw my first rose-breasted grosbeak!

I was walking along a narrow trail.  The narrower the trail, the more easily spiders can string their webs across it.  You know how there are days with a high pollen content?  Well, I have something similar.  It's what I call a cobweb factor.  It can go from an occasional cobweb across the trail to something on the order of Shelob's lair.

On this walk, the cobweb factor was pretty high.  I could certainly tell that I was the first bipedal life form to have passed that way that morning.  The cobwebs were clinging to me, and probably trailing behind me.  And there were mosquito.  And there was no waterfowl to be seen on the marsh.  I was kind of bummed.

While swatting at bugs and constantly wiping off webbing, I almost disregarded a chipping noise overhead.  Luckily for me, the bird kept at it.  I finally stopped and looked up, and there it was.  (Cue trumpet fanfare here.)

It was a rose-breasted grosbeak - a bird I had, up until now, only read about in field guides.

I snapped photos as fast as I could but he was off in a flash.  I felt pretty confident what it was, but wasn't 100% sure until I got home and was able to look at the pictures.  Sure enough, it was.  Made my day.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you, so please leave comments. Thank you!