June 6, 2012

Red-Bellied Woodpecker

It was a bright, beautiful morning when arrived at a local park to take my walk.  I was just getting the lens cap off my camera when I heard a bird close by.  Looking up, I saw this fellow.


He was singing his heart out.  It was such a lovely morning, that I felt my spirits lift with his as we took in the moment.


I was glad to have a chance to photograph a woodpecker against a blue sky. Normally when I see them, it is under the forest canopy, and there are usually branches and leaves impeding a clear view.

This last picture shows the slight reddish tinge on his belly - hence the name.  You might think that this fellow should be called a red-headed woodpecker, as his head is so much more red than his belly, but that name is given to another woodpecker who has much more red on his head.  (If you click on the photo, it will enlarge.)


I was unable to get a photo of his back, which has black and white bars - very pretty.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you, so please leave comments. Thank you!