June 8, 2012

Mayapple

The Mayapple is a great little woodland plant.  Almost everyone is familiar with it, even if somewhat unconsciously.  When I've taken scouts on nature hikes and name it for them, they say, "Oh yeah!  I've seen that before!"


The plant looks like a big umbrella to me, which is one of its nicknames.  They grow in colonies, just like trillium.


The really exciting part, to me, is the when the blossoms can be found underneath their green canopies - hidden away.  From these blossoms, later in the summer, you will get actual little fruits.  They can be toxic, but I've read that they are edible in moderation.  In fact, one of the plant's nicknames is the wild lemon, due to its flavor.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you, so please leave comments. Thank you!