June 5, 2012

Handsome Mussels

It's always exciting to be walking along a shore and find shells - whether it is an ocean beach or a river bank.  Around here, you can find freshwater mussels.  The trick to further enjoyment is learning to identify them.


As I have tried to master this task, I have delighted in their odd and descriptive names:  Washboard, Spike, Elktoe, Ebonyshell, Sheepnose, Wabash Pigtoe, Pistolgrip, and my personal favorite - the Purple Wartyback.


I haven't yet learned to identify them, so I'm just sharing some pictures of mussels here as things of beauty.




And yes, I can't help but add a little etymological nugget.  As you might guess, "mussel" comes from the word "muscle", but THAT word comes from the Latin "musculus" which means "little mouse".  How's that for cute?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you, so please leave comments. Thank you!