June 2, 2012

Starry False Solomon's Seal

All spring I was looking for Solomon's Seal.  I would often think I saw its leaves, but I didn't feel I could be sure until there were flowers to look at.  Finally I came across some with blossoms, and felt sure I had found it.


Once I compared my photos to those in field guides, I realized I was mistaken.  Further research led me to False Solomon's Seal, but again, there was not an exact match.  Finally I came across the plant called Starry False Solomon's Seal, and that is what I think I have here.


This is a native plant.  It is also called Starry False Lily of the Valley.  It's scientific name indicates a May flower that is star-like.  As for the Solomon's Seal portion of the name, it is a reference to a legendary signet ring said to have been worn by King Solomon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you, so please leave comments. Thank you!