June 3, 2012

A Gift

I went for a walk in one of my favorite wild spots on the river.  It was early morning, and cool out.  I had the whole place to myself, and gloried in all the greenery.  Everything was interesting.  I traveled the entire length of the trail.

On my way back, there on the pathway, was a gift.  It was a red-tailed hawk feather.  Here it is, in situ:


It had not been there when I first came through the other way.  I felt like it had been placed there, just for me to find.  It was right smack in the middle of the trail.  I actually looked around to see if someone had placed it in my way, but of course no one was there.


It was beautifully crafted - a fleeting piece of fine art.


Feeling that it had been deposited there just for me, as a gift to elevate my day, it was hard to leave it there.  But I did.  I know the principles of Leave No Trace.  We should leave what we find.  Also, it's illegal to keep a red-tailed hawk feather without a permit, due to the Migratory Bird Treaty Act.  So I left it there on the path for the next passerby, and took these pictures to remember it by.

2 comments:

  1. Wow that is really wonderful. My mind is burst with ideas on why it was there. All I will share is remember how you felt when you saw the trilliums. < 3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your comment. When I think of this and the trilliums together, I am reminded of how much beauty God put into the world for us to enjoy.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you, so please leave comments. Thank you!