June 28, 2012

Luna Moth

This is a Luna Moth.  If you have ever seen one, you know you were in the presence of something extraordinarily beautiful.  The group I was with acted with something almost like reverence when we came upon this one in the afternoon grass.  Sadly, it appeared to have been injured.  (Note the discoloration on the left wing.)



These moths are huge, and strikingly beautiful in appearance.  They have a white body, and pale green wings, with tails.  Their wingspan can be as big as 4 1/2 inches wide, making them one of the biggest moths in North America.

Luna was the Roman godess representing the moon, and is the Latin word for that heavenly body.  The name was applied to this moth due to the moon-like, transparent eyespots on its wings.  They are also classified as members of the Saturniidae family, which name comes from the planet Saturn.  Saturn has rings around it, just as the eye spots have rings around them.

2 comments:

  1. I have been visited two nights in a row by a luna moth. It is searching out the warmth from my front porch light. Its wing span is as long as a pen and by far the most impressive moth I have ever seen!! I wish I had a decent camera that would do justice for what my eyes have seen.
    I live in DuPage County IL and am wondering how common are they as this is my first awe-struck sighting :) Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Anonymous, that is so cool that the moth came to you two nights in a row. I have read that the moth is common in the great lakes area but in another place but due to their nighttime habits they are seen more rarely by people than some other moths.

      Delete

I would love to hear from you, so please leave comments. Thank you!