July 23, 2013

Chillin'!

Last week we were suffering heat waves and warnings all over the state.  That's when I happened to get a picture of this guy:


We were visiting Grinnell College in central Iowa.  It was 92 degrees, and we were all baking in the sun as we took a walking tour of the campus.  But this squirrel had it figured out.  He sprawled himself against the relatively cool bark of this tree, enjoying what shade was to be had.  Staring at me with a glassy look, he did not seem phased when I turned paparazzi on him.


Adding to the humor of the moment were these Dr. Seuss -like "sweaters", adorning the trees in this little park on campus.  It made me chuckle to see this chillin' Grinnellian and these multi-colored tree adnorments.

2 comments:

  1. I love the shots you were able to get! I noticed that when we went to Iowa City that their trees had stockings on the too. I tried to get a good picture but couldn't because we were driving and couldn't stop. Since you got this shot of this little squirrel, I was hoping that maybe you could get a shot of a black one. I had never seen one like that until living in IA. Maybe when I'm there we'll have to go on a squirrel picture taking hunt! Yeah, I like that idea!!!!!! Looking forward to hearing about your visit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really? Now I want to go and see them. It's amazing what you can find if you get out! So it's a black squirrel challenge now - I will take that on. I would love to go "squirrel hunting" with you when you visit.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you, so please leave comments. Thank you!