January 25, 2013

Curiouser and Curiouser

These photos are from last year.

I was walking at the park when I heard a commotion in the pond - splashing and then a big "Glump!" Turning to look, I saw bubbles frothing to the surface, and a dark, submerged shape cruising toward me.

That was a little unnerving.  Normally animals swim away from people.

It got closer and closer, and then it surfaced a little bit.


I expected it to be a beaver, but it wasn't.


Silently gliding along the shoreline, it drifted around to face me.


 It was a muskrat!  (Check out the long, thin tail.  Beavers have wide, flat tails.)


I had the impression that he was curious about me, and was checking me out.

And really, what did he have to fear?  Yes, I walk upon two legs, but I carried no gun, and had no malevolent intentions.  And he was a master swimmer.  I could no more leap into his pond and catch him than he could break into my house and kidnap me at gunpoint.

And then he was gone, disappearing into his underwater demesne.  I was left with the thrill of the encounter, and these great photos of a muskrat with the face of a waterlogged scottie dog.

4 comments:

  1. Muskrat Susie, Muskrat Sam, Do the jitterbug out in muskrat land.


    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgCk3bnvO5Y

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kevin, I don't know what to say, That video is... does have muskrats in it, of a sort. Somehow I missed seeing that as a kid. Maybe that was a good thing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My life will never be the same after watching that video. Who knew there was a song about muskrats??? I'm impressed with Kevin!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Too funny! So you missed it as a kid, too? Yeah, Kevin has loads of knowledge. Never play against him on Trivial Pursuit.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you, so please leave comments. Thank you!