January 21, 2013

Pileated Woodpecker

While hiking at Wildcat Den, my friends and I were treated to the sight of a pileated woodpecker.


This thing was big, and it was loud.  We first noticed it from the sound of its pecking on a tree, but then it swooped over us and flew up the trail a little ways, making a loud set of calls. I don't remember ever hearing a call quite like it.  Up to that point we had only seen small birds, like nuthatches and black-capped chickadees, all of which this woodpecker could have eaten for lunch!  The pileated is about a foot-and-a-half long, while those littler birds are only about six inches long.  It made quite an impression!


The bird takes its name from the red, hairy-looking feathers on its head.  Pileated means "crested" and comes from the Latin "pileatus" meaning "wearing a felt cap".  (Thank you, dictionary.com !)  This word is also related to the Latin "pilus", meaning "hair".


This particular pileated woodpecker happened to be a female.  How do I know?  According to my research, the males have a red line running from their bill to their throat, and on the females, this line is black.  You can see in this picture that ours has a black line.

The moral of the story?  Get out on the trail.  You never know what you might find!

2 comments:

  1. Hey, I was there with you that day! It was an awesome time spent with friends and nature!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really was an awesome hike, and I was glad to share it with you guys. We need to go again!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you, so please leave comments. Thank you!