November 7, 2013

My Heart Is There

Today's post is dedicated to the poem "Tadoussac" by Charles Bancroft.  It expresses so well my never-ending delight with the woods, and the hunger in my soul to be there when I must be other places instead.



I've seen the Thousand Islands
In the beauty of the dawn;
And sailed on lake Ontario,
When the shades of night were drawn,




I've wandered in Toronto,
Climbed the "Mount" at Montreal;
Run the great St. Lawrence rapids,
Where the waters swirl and fall.




I've slept up in the Chateau,
At Quebec; and known the thrill
Of rambling through the "Old Town"
And the fort upon the hill.




I've felt the sacred beauty
Of the splendor on Sag'nay;
The warmth of homespun blankets
That were made at Murray Bay.




But in my soul's a hunger
Once again for Tadoussac;
The endless fascination
Of its quaintness draws me back.




I hear again the mission bell
That calls the folks to prayer;
And as I walk the city streets
My heart is with them there.




No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you, so please leave comments. Thank you!