February 17, 2014

Eagle Above Me

I went to the river Saturday, looking for eagles.  They were everywhere, but so were lots of people.  I took a few shots, but the wind blowing off the river made my fingers ache with cold.  I took shelter in my car and decided to try another spot.  Bingo!  I found a little place that I had all to myself.

When I got out of the car, the wind was blowing the snow at a forty-five degree angle, and it was cold!  I hiked along the shore and took shelter behind a big tree.  I could see eagles in the distance and could hear the snow hitting all the trees around me, making little ticking sounds.  I got as close to the frozen shoreline as I could, and as far out from under the trees as I dared.  I sat on a downed tree and waited.

Suddenly, a kettle of eagles was circling above me - mostly juveniles.  I knew their eyes must be searching for fish in the open water and I marveled at their toughness to live in such conditions.  Then, one eagle flew right above me.

This was taken with my camera pointed straight up!

When I got home, I was excited to zoom in on this eagle and see the finer details of his eyes and beak, the nicks in his wing feathers, his whitening feathers, and his talons.


It was a short few minutes before the freezing temperatures again drove me to the warmth of my car, but it was long enough to lift my soul.

4 comments:

  1. Awesome photos! Such a wonderful prize for braving the cold. ~ Coleen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Coleen. That's exactly how I felt too!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you, so please leave comments. Thank you!