February 23, 2014

The Kindly Pelican

I had the good luck to see a pelican landing on the water yesterday, coming straight at me.  I took this photo, which made me laugh later when I saw it at home on my computer.


The first thing I thought of was how the smaller waterfowl in front of the pelican do not seem at all concerned that this huge bird is landing so near them.  They have not turned away from him in fright.  They know they are in no danger.

The second thing I thought of was that - with his wings up like that - he looked like a clergyman giving a blessing to his little flock: "Bless you, my children...".

Note the little fellow on the left who seems to be mimicking the pelican.  Too funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you, so please leave comments. Thank you!