September 11, 2014

Green Leaf Bug

The wings on this bug look just like a green leaf, with veins and all:


It's a katydid!

It's hard for me to believe that I could reach this ripe old age without ever having seen a katydid before. but it's true.  I just found this one last month.  It was on a window screen or I never would have noticed it - so perfect is its camouflage.

There are several kinds of katydids in North America, and even though I've never seen one until now, I've heard them all the days of my life. It is the sound of summer.

Take a listen on NaturesFairy's YouTube video, found here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ob2rEjRz-RM

Anyone interested in learning more katydis them should check out this wonderful website called "Valerie's Austin Bug Collection".  It has many fabulous photos of the different kinds, showing their various features such as wing shape:  

http://www.austinbug.com/tettigoniidae.html


The ovipositor on this one lets us know it is a female.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you, so please leave comments. Thank you!