October 28, 2012

Time to Fly

Something Told the Wild Geese
by Rachel Field


Something told the wild geese
It was time to go,



Though the field lay golden

Something whispered, "snow."



Leaves were green and stirring,
Berries, luster-glossed,



But beneath warm feathers
Something cautioned, "frost."



All the sagging orchards
Steamed with amber spice



But each wild breast stiffened
At remembered ice.



Something told the wild geese
It was time to fly,



Summer sun was on their wings,
Winter in their cry.


6 comments:

  1. Sarah, I'm so glad you love it! It's one of my favorite autumn poems.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the wintery ones. I like the leaves with the ice crystals and the steam with the ice and snow. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww, thanks Kevin. Your comment made my day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The poem is okay, it's the pics that make the poem come to life. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to hear you enjoyed the photos. That's one of my main aims - to share try and delight other people with the beauty of nature.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you, so please leave comments. Thank you!