February 1, 2013

Fishing & Fighting

"The eagles are coming!"  That's what I think every time I go to battle with hobbits every winter.  In January you are sure to see bald eagles congregating below the dams - the more ice the better!  Getting decent pictures of them is the hard part.

In this first photo, a juvenile (notice his white tail feathers have not come in yet) had just snatched up a fish.  Before he could make off with it, an adult swooped in to steal it, in an aerial version of Steal the Bacon.


After a couple of feints at the juvie's prize, the younger bird was rattled enough, or tired enough, to drop his dinner.


The older eagle swooped in to catch it as it fell - but missed!  High drama on the river!  The fish fell back into the river, and no one got to eat it.

In this other shot, a mature baldie fished out this prize, clutched in his talons.  It would be enough to see him through the freezing night that was coming on fast.

6 comments:

  1. WOW! I am so jealous of your camera, etc.!!! You are TALENTED!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Kamp Kyburz! I can't take much of the credit - it really is the camera, but I am glad you like the photos. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE the last picture. Lots of tail in that one. Hehe! Seriously, I do love it. I've never seen an eagle with his tail spread. Absolutely beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are such beautiful birds - front or back. Thank you for your comments - I appreciate hearing from my faithful readers like you!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you, so please leave comments. Thank you!