April 24, 2013

Coots

Up until I started photographing wildlife, I hadn't ever really seen or noticed coots.  I've come to know them as very shy birds who hustle away from me the moment they notice my presence.  Most of my photos show them paddling away for dear life, their wake a widening "V" behind them.  They are friendly with other birds, however, and hang out in mixed flocks.

Now and then I get lucky, and manage to photograph more than just their fleeing forms.

I found this one (below), trying to hide in the reeds at Pigeon Creek.  He had undoubtedly been there as I passed by him on my way up the trail, but an active muskrat and some new birds closer to shore grabbed my attention.  I didn't notice him until my return trip along the path.

When I did finally notice him, he held very still - like a child caught in a cookie jar - and pretended not to see me.


I recently saw my first coot on land.  It wasn't until I had zoomed in on him that I realized what odd feet coots have!  They are "lobed" and massive - not like duck feet at all.  Here is a picture to show you what I mean:

This is a mature coot - not a baby that has yet to "grow into" his feet.

The coot is dark grey with an even darker head.  They have white bills, which make them pretty distinctive.  If you get close to them, you will see that they have a red patch at the base of their bills (on their foreheads), and they have the appearance of red eyes.


Their chicks are beautiful, with orange-tipped feathers.  I would dearly love to get a photo of one!

The word coot comes from the Dutch koet, and in modern times the word has become synonymous with a foolish person.

Here is a pleasant picture to end with, of a social group.  This one was taken by my sister Angie, when she was here visiting.  Thanks, Ang!

Photo by Angie S.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know - they look so weird. My thoughts exactly!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you, so please leave comments. Thank you!