April 26, 2013

Mentha Spicata

Hyperion and I were out walking along the river the other day when he stopped and turned to me.  "I just love that smell," he said.  "It smells like mint."  I could smell it too, and so we looked around to see where it might be coming from.  There at our feet were several beautiful bunches of spearmint.


I plucked a bit of leaf and crushed it between my fingers.  Sure enough - the minty smell burst forth bigger than ever.

I've never found mint growing wild like this, but I have known it was out there.  I just don't know if this mint grew there from an errant seed from someone's garden-variety mint, or if it was a naturally occurring variety.  I've researched the plant a little but haven't been able to come to any conclusions.  

The scientific name is Mentha spicata, and the word mentha originally comes from the Greek minthe.  The term spicata refers to the spikes on the leaves.  

In Greek mythology, Minthe was changed into the plant that now bears her name in order to keep her from improper relations with Hade, god of the underworld.  This connection with the underworld is also evident in the use of mint in ancient burials rights.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you, so please leave comments. Thank you!