April 25, 2013

Tending to Others

Last spring I saw this sight on the water:


At first I thought, "That's a lot of goslings!"  Later I found out that adult Canada geese will often tend the goslings of others in just this way.  In other words, "It takes a village to raise a child."  As you can see, there are at least 24 goslings in this picture, of varying ages and sizes, all learning to paddle and keep an eye out for dangers and look for food.

This reminds me of my friends, Glen and Sylvia.  They routinely looked after others in their lives, and were a dynamic part of whatever community they found themselves in.

Glen and Sylvia both contracted polio in their childhoods, which led to them being wheelchair bound but did not stop them from living useful and exuberant, busy lives.  They met in college and married, taking on the world together, and raising a family of both biological and adopted children.  Glen had a successful engineering business.  Sylvia taught voice and piano.  They drew people to them with their endearing personalities, wit and kindness.  They were always attentive to the one, and their every thought seemed to be focused on what they could do for others.  The number of souls they tended to in their lifetime is untold.

As their health declined in their later years, they had an increasing need for "helpers" in their home.  I had the privilege of being one.  Being in their presence was an education in itself, as I saw them interact so lovingly with one another, and conduct themselves with the highest levels of graciousness and charity.  

Strictly speaking, I worked for Sylvia, but in reality, I was the one being ministered to.  I had the privilege of spending many hours a week with her, incident to her post-polio, but it was she who served and uplifted me with every conversation, and by her sweet example.  In a way, she parented me, and became a beloved friend, mentor, and confidant.

Sylvia passed away recently, and joined her sweetheart, Glen, who passed away several months ago.  I am so glad that I was one of the flock they drew so close to them.  I hope to follow their example and serve others a little better every day.

2 comments:

  1. hugs for you! sylvia and glenn are smiling downg on your blog xo aks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, AKS. I know that is true and I appreciate your encouragement and sympathy. :)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you, so please leave comments. Thank you!