August 24, 2013

Bucket List Gold

Ever since I started this blog, I have been wanting to get a bright photo of an American Goldfinch.  I have photographed goldfinches before, but they were in their duller, non-breeding plumage at that time.  Read that post here:  http://foundonthetrail.blogspot.com/2012/10/charmed-im-sure.html .

Today the lure of gold drew me out.  I headed out to a certain park of which I know, where there is exceptional goldfinch habitat (read:  seeds, Seeds, SEEDS!).

I parked my car, and got out.  I put the camera strap around my neck and took off the lens cap.  I was ready to go hunt down some goldfinches when - surprise, surprise - one came to me!

This fellow (it's a male) landed at the top of a tree right off the parking lot!  I wasn't even sure what it was when I aimed my camera that way, but to my delight, the zoom function brought into view this bright fellow:

Weighing about 1/2 an ounce, this goldfinch doesn't even weigh down this flimsy tree top.

My smile was wider than the my display screen, which showed his lovely black and gold.  What do you know?  Sometimes it's that easy.


This goldfinch didn't stick around long.  He had territory to defend, women to woo, and seeds to eat.  But I was thrilled with my capture and went on to enjoy a long ramble, knowing I had the goods on my memory card.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you, so please leave comments. Thank you!