August 1, 2013

Spotted Sandipiper

I was walking along the Mississippi River yesterday, and saw a streak of movement against the muddy shoreline.


When I turned to look more closely, it wasn't there.


This happened again and again until I realized that there were some little birds dashing about who were perfectly camouflaged.

Here are the same two pictures, with the fledglings circled.




It was a nest of little spotted sandpipers.  They slipped away up the shore and I was left with just a few fleeting glimpses.



An ever watchful parent was not far away - probably the dad, since they do the raising of the little ones.


Thankfully I had a couple of clear enough shots that I could I.D. the birds.


Spotted sandpipers are one of the most easy shorebird to identify - luckily for me.  Their spotted breast (prominent during mating season) and the white and black eyelines help distinguish them from other sandpipers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you, so please leave comments. Thank you!