August 23, 2013

The White Duck Mystery

From my early elementary years on, I have always been a big Nancy Drew fan, and after reading about her mystery adventures, I always wanted to discover and solve a few of my own.  Well, on Wednesday, I bumped right into one.  I was walking out at Smith's Island and what did I see?  Two white ducks!


Now, I am an amateur bird watcher, but I do know enough to know that white ducks like this are not generally wild.  They looked exactly like your typical domestic duck found on a farm.  But what were they doing out here, in this wild marsh on the river?  I have walked this trail for three years and never seen a domestic duck here before.  How strange!

I took several photographs, and noted that they were swimming around very companionably with two mallard hens.  They were grazing on the plants at the bottom of the marsh, and spent more time with their heads under water than above.  I strained to see any markings of any kind that would help me identify them - if they really were some kind of wild breed.  Nada.  They were white, white, white, with orange bills and black eyes.  I decided that they had to be escapees from some nearby farm.

Quite curious by now, I contacted my ranger friend who works for the Army Corps of Engineers out there.  He revealed the mystery to me!  (Thank you, Ranger Steve!)


As it turns out, someone released this pair of domestic ducks at the marsh a few months ago, and they have been happily living there ever since.

Now, I've heard of kittens being dropped off on farms, but I've never heard of farms dropping off ducks at nature preserves before.  I'd love to know the rest of this story!  And, I am wondering how well they will winter.  Time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you, so please leave comments. Thank you!