October 16, 2013

Gaura

I saw this beautiful plant at Nahant Marsh in mid-August.


It was growing in colonies, head and shoulders above the other prairie plants there.


It had the most intricate little flowers, and I could not help photographing it.


This is a native species, so we can rejoice in its beauty and feel no guilt!


It took some time, but thanks to our Tallgrass Prairie Wildflowers field guide, I was at last able to identify this plant.  This book has been a trusted companion of ours for more than fifteen years, and I would recommend it to anyone.  It was written by Doug Ladd, and the photos were taken mostly by Frank Oberle.  They are rock stars in their fields.  Excellent book!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you, so please leave comments. Thank you!