July 30, 2012

Bird on a Wire

Here is a mourning dove, photographed in late winter -  bill tucked, and feathers puffed for maximum insulation.

Asleep

I love mourning doves.  I love the soft cooing and comforting, pigeony sounds they make.  I love their sweet, muted coloring, and the way they gather at the bottom of the drive to peck at the gravel and take dust baths.  And I love the whirring, whistley sound they make when they take flight.  They are long-time companions and always lift my spirits when I see or hear them.  It's just so nice to know they are there.

Awake

They are named, of course, for their mournful call, which can sound like someone gently sobbing.

Fully alert and eyeing me as a possible threat.

When researching mourning doves, I was surprised to learn two new things about them.  One is that they are a game bird.  I have never known anyone who shot them for sport, so this was news to me.  The other is that their genus name comes from a princess!

Zenaide Laetitia Julie Boneparte was the niece of Napoleon Bonaparte, the Emperor of France.  She married a cousin of hers, named Charles Boneparte, who was also a nephew of the Emperor's.  Charles was a serious ornithologist, and according to Wikipedia, he created the genus Zenaida in her honor.  How's that for romantic?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you, so please leave comments. Thank you!