July 18, 2012

Canvasback

I was thrilled one day to spot this Canvasback on one of my walks.  His look is so distinctive that it cannot be mistaken, and when I saw him far out on the water, I knew I was seeing something new to me.


Since it was mating season, I first had this fellow mistakenly married off to a red-headed merganser, but my field guides soon put things to right.  I never did see Mrs. Canvasback.

I've got to share the etymology for this species.  It is called Aythya valisineria, which is the scientific name for wild celery - this duck's favorite food.  The common name refers to the white back and body being colored like canvas, and appearing to be textured like canvas as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you, so please leave comments. Thank you!