July 27, 2012

Testimony in a Beetle's Name

When you see a ladybug, do you think of the Virgin Mary?

After researching the ladybug on Wikepedia and on the Online Etymology Dictionary, I discovered the following, which I found fascinating.

While the common name for this beetle in North America is ladybug, in England it is called a ladybird.  While I had heard that term before, what I didn't know was this.  It comes from the title, "Our Lady's Bird", in reference to Mary, the mother of Jesus.  Apparently in early paintings, she was often shown wearing a red robe.  This religious connection also shows up in the German name, Marienkafer, which means "Mary's beetle".


I think it is so cool that this humble little beetle that I have known all my life has had this testimony of Jesus Christ encoded in it's name all along.  What a lovely thing to discover!  Now when I see them, I will remember this, and be glad!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you, so please leave comments. Thank you!