March 15, 2013

Looking at the Moon

One evening in late January, Hyperion and I went down to Lock & Dam 14 to see if we could catch a few shots of bald eagles before the daylight failed completely.

We saw one adult and one juvenile, but they quickly left.  There were a pair of mallards, and the ever present seagulls, who were fishing.

Not much else was going on, but riding low in the sky was the moon, clear and bright.


I had fun looking at the photo at home, where I could zoom in on it and see actual craters.  I checked a map of the moon online and was able to identify several points in my photo.  Below are the four biggest dark spots, or mares.  (The term "mare" is from the Latin for "sea".)


Point #1:  Mare Serenitatis - the Sea of Serenity

Point #2:  Mare Tranquillitatis - the Sea of Tranquility.
This is where the first manned moon landing took place on July 20, 1969.

Point #3:  Mare Crisium - the Sea of Crises

Point #4:  Mare Fecunditatis - the Sea of Fecundity.  Fecundity is a synonym for fertility.

4 comments:

  1. Learning about the mares was interesting. Thanks for including this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alex, thank you for reading my blog and for your comments. I enjoy reading what you have to say!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Makes me remember words over a transistor radio - "Houston, Tranquility Base, the Eagle has landed."

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you, so please leave comments. Thank you!