March 3, 2013

Pair of Downies

As mentioned yesterday, I saw a pair of downy woodpeckers on my morning walk.  The two were flitting about the treeline.


Downy woodpeckers look an awful lot like hairy woodpeckers, but downies are smaller - only about six inches long, whereas the hairy woodpecker is about twelve inches long.  Also, downies have shorter bills in proportion to their bodies.  A general rule of thumb is - if you can't tell, they are probably downies, because those are more commonly seen.

These two faced each other on a branch and bobbed their heads up and down in unison.  "Oh, isn't that sweet!  That must be courtship behavior," I thought to myself.  Little did I know!


Upon checking the facts, I discovered that female downies do not have red on the nape of their necks.  Only the males do.  Taking a closer look at my photos, I realized I had two males.  They were not being friendly - they were disputing territory!  Lesson learned:  Assume Nothing!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you, so please leave comments. Thank you!