March 19, 2013

Occupied

When walking recently, I came across some holes in the ground - the dens of little animals.

I can never tell which animals are living in the holes for sure.  Maybe someday I'll be that good.  And of course I can never tell if there is an animal currently in the den, listening to me walk by.

This time the ground was free of snow, but the backwaters were almost completely frozen.  It was cold out.  I passed several little dens, all plain and unremarkable.  Then I saw this one.


This den was different than all the rest.  It was lined with frost - proof that it had been occupied recently, and maybe right at that moment.  If it was a smart critter, it was probably still curled up below, avoiding the bitter temperatures above.  The moisture evaporating off the animal's body and the moisture from its own exhalations had risen to the entrance of the den and frozen there.  I've had the same experience camping in tents in the winter, and have woken up with frost on the inside of my tent roof and walls.

2 comments:

  1. This entry reflects the "sleuth" side of your name well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I love sleuthing around!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you, so please leave comments. Thank you!