September 11, 2012

Bobbing Buddies

Came upon a "field" of American lotus on the river's edge Saturday night, with Hyperion and Ajax.


The blooms were all gone, but we found something else bobbing on top of the seed pods.


While watching this first red-winged blackbird, we heard his buddy chirping nearby.  After some looking, we found him.

I love how his coloring blends in so well with his surroundings, including the two-tone seed pod he is perched on and its stem.  It made him difficult to see, and we would have missed him altogether if he hadn't been making his call.


This second bird in close-up looks like a wise old sage, but his coloring gives him away as a juvenile male - not fully mature.

4 comments:

  1. Red-winged Blackbirds are my favorite summer bird. I love their call! On a side note: I am using your blog as part of our nature study during school. You do such an AWESOME job! Do you mind if I pass it on to the CLIFF group?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jane,
    Me too! In fact, we often try to imitate their main call, but it comes out something garbled, like "Oh-gah-lee!"
    That is so cool that you think there is enough value in my blog to share with your kids in homeschool. I'm so flattered! Thank you so much. And yes, please feel free to share the blog with the CLIFF group. I would be honored.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the pictures of the bird on the seed pod!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Josh! Coming from an expert photographer like you, that makes me feel very good!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you, so please leave comments. Thank you!