September 13, 2012

Red Gate Raccoon

We have a metal gate out at the scout camp.

Newly painted gate, spring 2012

When walking out there the other day, I saw it and remembered how it got a fresh coat of red paint last spring.  I went closer to admire the new paint job, and what did I see?

The now dusty gate with tracks, fall 2012

Tracks!

These tracks made me laugh out loud.  I instantly envisioned some medium-sized mammal walking the gate like a balance beam, nearly falling off one side and then the other.  I wished I had been there to witness the acrobatics in real time, but the story the tracks told was entertaining enough.


As I was admiring the tracks, some scouts walked up and joined me in viewing the evidence of such animal antics.  After a brief confab, we came to the conclusion that these were racoon tracks.


Raccoons do live out at camp in - shall we say - large numbers.  They can often be seen around the camp, and can be heard screeching quarrelsomely at night.  They have been known to enter people's tents, into garbage cans, and even into dumpsters.  Those places are all logical, because the raccoons are pursuing food smells.  What surprised me here was why they would be climbing all over this gate?  What was the benefit to themselves, or were they just having fun?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you, so please leave comments. Thank you!