September 15, 2012

The Elusive One

For me, the female red-winged blackbird is difficult to photograph.  There could be dozens of them around, all chirping and flitting about, but they are usually too fast to be photographed, or they land just out of range, perching obscured from view.  Like this:

The elusive female red-winged blackbird, obscured from view.

Yes, over the course of months, I have taken hundreds of such abject photos, and worse.  I have tried and failed many times.  They are too shy, and too wary.  And somewhere along the way, it became personal for me - a vendetta.

Then one day, with my camera at the ready, it happened.  I saw this lovely lady red-wing in the brush, and I was able to get a good shot.  I knew it was a clear shot even before looking at the results in my viewfinder!


Overcome with victory, I shouted out, my voice thick with the drama of the moment, "Long have I hunted you, and long have you eluded me!"


She looked at me oddly, not getting the veiled reference to Aragorn's speech to Sauron when he masters control of the palantir.

"Behold the camera of Demeter, the Slough Sleuth!"

2 comments:

  1. Hahahhah love it! Yet again you have tickled my funny bone. Love this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! Thank you for laughing with me! I love your comments!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you, so please leave comments. Thank you!