September 18, 2012

Lotus Leaves

Look at this mosaic of lotus leaves.


They make a little wilderness of shelter, shade and shapes.

I love the enormous concave leaves.  They remind me of elephant ears, the way they flap in the wind.


Don't get lotus leaves mixed up with lily pads as I did at first.  Water lilies are in a different family altogether.  Lily pads have a cut in them, like a piece of pie that has been cut out, like this:


Lotus leaves have no such division, although when decaying, they may look as if they do.  Here are some lotus leaves beginning to decay, as the season fades.


When we were walking among these lotus plants on some docks off the Ben Butterworth Parkway, Hyperion noticed water droplets rolling around inside some of the leaves, forming and reforming.


They sparkled like gems and raced back and forth as the waves under the leaves rose and fell.

This one, in particular, looked like a perfect marble.  Note the spherical shape.


It reminded me of a ball of mercury, such as we used to play with in our high school chemistry class.  The natural world holds endless surprises.

4 comments:

  1. Your camera takes such awesome pictures! I should say YOU make the camera take such awesome pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Jane. The camera is a lot of fun, and once someone showed me the basic functions, it was like magic. I enjoy it a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know who this Hyperion character is, but he must be extrmely intelligent to notice so much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL! Yeah, he really is a genius. You should meet him sometime. I'll have to introduce you two. :)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you, so please leave comments. Thank you!